Posted by: Audiegrl
The First family are holding this year’s White House Easter Egg Roll on Monday, April 5, 2010 with the theme of “Ready, Set, Go!” promoting health and wellness. Over 30,000 people from all 50 states and DC will visit the South Lawn of the White House this year. The event features live music, sports courts, cooking stations, storytelling and, of course, Easter egg rolling. All of the activities will encourage children to lead healthy and active lives and follow the First Lady’s ‘Let’s Move!’ initiative, a national campaign to combat childhood obesity.
The 2010 White House Easter Egg Roll souvenir eggs are available for purchase online at the National Park Foundation website. Each wooden egg is expertly crafted, painted, and includes the signatures of the President and First Lady.
Vodpod videos no longer available.
The White House press office has announced the following performers and leaders in their field to participate in this year’s festivities:
- Sara Bareilles, Justin Bieber, the cast of the television show Glee, Yo Gabba Gabba, Sesame Street, and Little Beat, The #1 Chinchilla and DJ Willy Wow! will perform on the Rock ‘n’ Egg Roll Stage
- J.K. Rowling, Reese Witherspoon, Apolo Ohno, Mariska Hargitay, Dylan and Cole Sprouse, Elmo and Maria of Sesame Street and Betty DeGeneres will read on the Storytime Stage
- Billy Jonas and Miss Amy will perform on the Ellipse
- Chef Art Smith, Chef José Andrés, Chef Cliff Wharton, Chef Nora Poullion, Chef Robert Wiedmaier, Chef Susan Limb, Chef Victor Albisu, and the White House Chefs will prepare healthy eating demonstrations in the Play with your Food area.
- Billie Jean King, Gigi Fernandez, Ilana Kloss, Delaney Rudd, Liezel Huber, Katrina Adams, Anna Rawson, Jane Geddes, Kris Tschetter, Martin Gramatica, Michele Smith, Al Bumbry and Earl Boykins will help organize games in the Sports Zones
- NFL players will lead children in healthy activities as a part of the NFL Play 60 Movement. Those participating include Washington Redskins players Kevin Barnes, Alvin Bowen, Derrick Dockery, Reed Doughty, Chris Horton, Marko Mitchell, Will Robinson, Casey Rabach, Justin Tryon, Edwin Williams, Anthony Montgomery, Lorenzo Alexander, H.B. (Horatio Benedict) Blades, Doug Dutch as well as, Baltimore Ravens players Matt Lawrence and Sam Koch
- Eggspress Yourself: Arts & crafts for the kids to enjoy
- Music: The DC Youth Orchestra and the United States Marine Corps Band
Assistant Pastry Chef Susie Morrison puts the finishing touches on some marzipan chicks for an Easter Egg Village as the White prepares for the annual Easter Egg Roll, April 2, 2010. The White House Easter Egg Roll is a tradition that has spanned more than 130 years. (Official White House Photo by Chuck Kennedy)
President Barack Obama, First Lady Michelle Obama, and daughters, Sasha and Malia, attend Easter Sunday service at Allen Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Washington, D.C., April 4, 2010. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)
All of the headliner music acts and Storytime Stage readers will have their performances broadcast live on www.whitehouse.gov/eastereggroll
. A full schedule will be posted on the morning of April 5th so citizens from across the country can participate in the event.
A more ambitious and comprehensive approach to sustainability was taken to minimize the environmental impact of the 2010 Easter Egg Roll. Some of the highlights include: the “greenest” souvenir egg in Egg Roll history, crafted from Forest Stewardship Council certified U.S. hardwood; goody bags made from 100% post-consumer recycled plastic; the use of organically grown fruits and vegetables at the Play with Your Food station; and increased recycling and composting capabilities on the day of the event.
The White House Easter Egg Roll is made possible by the hard work of close to 1,200 volunteers
Photos courtesy of Eddie Gehman Kohan/Obamafoodorama, Lynn Sweet/Chicago Sun-Times, Alex Wong/Getty Images North America, and Pete Souza/White House
The Mount Ennon Baptist Church Children’s Chorus from Clinton, Md., performs at the Easter Prayer Breakfast in the East Room of the White House, April 6, 2010. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)
Vodpod videos no longer available.
President Barack Obama (C) reads Green Eggs and Ham, by Dr. Suess, for a group of children and his family, first lady Michelle Obama (R) and daughters Malia Obama (L), 11, and Sasha Obama, 8, during the Easter Egg Roll at the White House April 5, 2010 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images North America)
2010 Easter Egg Roll Performances/Readings
Looking for more stories on the First Lady? Check out our brand new section: FLOTUS: All Things Michelle Obama